cfl's flickering

cappo11February 25, 2012

I have a 5 bulb bar light over my bathroom mirror. The light switch is a slide dimmer. I changed the incandescent bulbs out for dimmable cfl's but am finding that the lights flicker at the lower (dimmed) settings. also the bulbs are at different brightness. The cfl's are Feit brand 15 watt dimmables I bought at Home Depot. The dimmer is fine with incandescents. Was wondering what might be the problem

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Swap in a conventional switch to replace the dimmer. That is a sure cure.
Personally, the bath is the place where I do not want a dimmer.
If you really want this setup, try a different dimmer or experiment with different lamps.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 12:57PM
tom_o

You could try leaving the lamps on for about 100 hours and then see if they will dim down to a lower level without flickering.

If that doesn't work, try another brand of lamps. I only buy FEITs when I'm more concerned about price than quality.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 5:17PM
brickeyee

CFLs are not going to dim like incandescent light, even if you have a 'dimmable' CFL or dimming ballast.

The difference in operation (discharge light vs. thermal heating) prevents any fluorescent from dimming as far.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 6:47PM
cappo11

since all the lamps in the store are inexpensive, do you think going online and buying a more expensive brand might solve the problem

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 8:44PM
yosemitebill

A quick search for Feit 15 watt CFLs at HD brings up a product with a package that states "works on most dimmers."

Well, I guess there's their out - "most dimmers." You can try a dimmer that also indicates it's for dimmable CFLs or a different brand CFL.

Most OEM manufacturers now have just moved on to LED bulbs and really have no interest in improving their CFL designs.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™