3 phase inverter

combworkFebruary 26, 2013

Hi.

I'm a newbe, live in the UK and just found this forum on the internet.

I'm self employed, work on my own and use a 3 phase inverter in the workshop. 240 volts in, 3 phase out. No makers name. Maximum load 13 amps. It's worked fine for the last 4 years then last night although it made the usual noises (switch on then a few seconds later a relay clicks and I've got power) neither motor on the Tool & Cutter grinder would work. I've checked the socket pins on the inverter; all 3 show approximately 300 volts between each pin and earth.

I disconnected the low power motor and wired it direct to the inverter; still nothing.

Next step is to check inside the inverter again (power off, leave it for a minute for the capacitors to discharge) find the relay, check the connections and clean the contacts. 9 times out of 10 when solid state things fail, it's the switches that are most likely to cause trouble. Is there anything else I could do before getting it expensively overhauled?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Apparently some nameplate information is available- the amperes, for example. If the model number is readable, type it into a Google search and those results may show the name of the manufacturer.
I never had one to fail and thus no experience with repairs. Replacement might be the best choice and is always an option.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 12:10PM
weedmeister

Is that 240v single phase in, 240v 3-phase out?

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 3:28PM
brickeyee

You may find a new variable speed drive less expensive than trying to repair what you have.

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™