Origianl 1920's steel casement windows: keep or replace?

ltk2010June 2, 2010

We recently purchased a 1920's english tudor in a historic neighborhood that has the original steel casement windows throughout the house. I would LOVE to keep them but our contractor is encouraging us to get quality wood replacements because the casements have asbestos caulking, lead paint and are (obviously) energy inefficient. We have young kids, so safety is a big concern; and we're installing central air, so making the home more energy efficient is a priority.

My question: anyone have experience dealing with asbestos caulking and lead paint removal from steel windows? Can this be done by steel window repair people or does it need to go thru an abatement company? And what could we do to make them more energy efficient?

Lastly, from a resale perspective, do you think it adds more value to the house to keep and restore the old, or have new wood replacement windows?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

You will need to check with your local/state environmental oversight body to see how the asbestos caulking is defined.

Technically, the steel window with the lead paint can be removed by contractor if he is an EPA certified renovator.

You might be best suited to have an abatement company remove everything and prepare the opening for your contractor to install the new windows.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
texas_al
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
What size windows - 10' + Cathedral Ceiling
I like the look of the hearth room pictured below....
burbmomoftwo
windows in rain and water, slush
We are in this weird situation due to the snow, rain,...
r2d2indy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™