Okna vs Earthwise - American Window & Glass

happygirl323June 16, 2013

Hi,

I'm replacing 17 windows and have received several bids. I have narrowed it down to Okna or American Window & Glass. I'm looking at 13 double hung, 2 picture windows and 2 awning windows.

I would be interested in hearing about peoples experiences with either window. Also I will be replacing the siding as well. Should I look at new construction windows instead of replacement windows?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

What are your existing windows? Wood, Vinyl, metal, etc.?

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 1:29PM
happygirl323

I currently have single pane wood windows.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 1:59PM
windowsonwashington

If you want the most glass that you can get back, you can go full tear out/new construction.

You will need to figure on the added expense of all new interior trim but it is certainly an option.

As far as the window comparative, I tend to think that the Okna window is one of the top 3 vinyl windows made today.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 8:20AM
HomeSealed

+2 for okna. The Earthwise group generally offers solid products, but the okna is an elite level choice. Regarding install method, you are typically gonna pay a premium of $200 give or take to go full tear out. Most folks find that hard to swallow... Makes sense though if you are already replacing you siding or interior trim anyway.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 8:26AM
mmarse1

When HomeSeal mentioned AT LEAST an additional $200 for new construction, he is referring to each window. it could be more depending on the circumstances.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:11AM
happygirl323

Thanks for the insight. I have been leaning towards Okna mainly because I wasn't able to find any info on the Earthwise group but that changed recently and the windows seem to be fairly solid. The caveat is that there's a network of builders and each one implements the design differently. I'll stick with the okna and get a price on the full tear out. Replacing the interior trim won't be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Deciding between Grand Estates/Amcraft or Okna 500dx, advice?
Both are new construction. The Grand Estates is just...
happyallison
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™