Potential WIP's ???

mermaidmosaicsAugust 20, 2008

Ok, I want to try a bigger project. I have a very heavy solid oak mirror I bought in San Marcos, Tx many moons ago. IT is about 5' tall and has indentations/pattern, brain dead here, that might be an issue if I try it.

Do you all think it is doable, or should I just try to sink my hands into something else??

My mermaid lady who is made of resin. Could I mosaic her?? has anyone tried to mosaic on resin for outdoors?? I'm not sure it the tesserae would stay on

Any ideas folks??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terikat_mom

I definitely think you can do the mirror frame. It would be awesome! Go for it! Can't wait to see it.

I don't have any info on the resin/outdoor info for you. Sorry.

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 2:08PM
katishooked

I love the mirror. It's a beautiful piece. I would say if you wanted to mosaic it, go for it. I think it's doable. I don't have an answer for the resin statue either. Sorry

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 6:08PM
nanatricia

Yes if you want to you can fill in those indentations/pattern with wood putty .It comes in a pouder .You can still follow the pattern.
You can also do a resin piece.I have done one .What I did was pant it with thinset then I use thinset for my glue >It has heald up good .

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 9:59PM
mermaidmosaics

Nana, your froggy is absolutely adorable. I'm debating on doing the mermaid, since she is really nice as she is, and I am afraid I couldn't do justice to her face, but maybe I can just do her tail..

thanks for the info on the wood putty, I can't decide what I want to tackle next.

Thanks

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 10:49PM
cindiloo

I don't see why you couldn't do the mirror. Great advice about the wood putty and, Nan, your froggy is the cutest!

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 1:49AM
texasfern

Was there a picture of the mermaid lady?
I didn't see one.
That is beautiful work on that frame, may I put in a suggestion?
How about painting the entire piece, antiquing the indented work and mosaicing the outer layered edges and sides?
Great froggy Nana.

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 10:04AM
texaswild

Great project. That'll be a doozy. Cute frog NANA, and that's a great idea on the technique, TEX.

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 5:11PM
mermaidmosaics

Texas, I REALLY like your idea, because I hesitate to take this beautiful carving and bury it, even if it's for mosaics. Nanna and Cindi, I still like the idea of using putty, great idea, just not sure about for this project.

Hmm, now I have to figure out how you antique a work- I am assuming with some kind of faux painting. guess I better do some research and maybe place this a bit lower on the to do list until I figure how to make it beautiful...

Right now I am trying my hand at the mesh method, and it really has possibilities. Will take some pix tomorrow. Mosaicing a mermaid and other sea life onto a very plain beadboard utility sink that is in my mosaic room. UGHHHHHHH. way too plain for me. LOL

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™