Undermount sink cutout

jgarzasrJanuary 31, 2008

We are putting in Butcher block counter tops - and the ones we purchased are just the counter, where we have to cut the sink opening. We are installing an undermount - it is a rectangular sink w/ rounded corners. What would be the best way to cut this opening out? We will only get one chance - and can't afford a mistake. I thought about a skill saw to cut the straight part of the cutout, and then jig saw the curves. Or would a Router be a better choice to cut this out? and if so how would I make a jig for this. thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

You definitely don't want to do it all with a router, but you could rough it out with a jigsaw and use a light router cut to clean it up. It would be best to use either a guide bushing or a flush-trimming bit with a bearing to guide the router along a template, which you'd have to make. I'd use a brand-new carbide cutter, and the larger diameter the better.

You could also plunge-cut the straight sections with a circular saw, jigsaw the curves as close as you dare and then clean up those curves with one of those sanding drums you can chuck in an electric drill. This method would require a steady hand, but avoid the risk of tearout.

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 2:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Hole saw the corners first. Lay out so as to leave approx. 1/8" material excess to desired finish cutout size. Connect the hole cuts with a skilsaw. Finish the last inch or so with a jigsaw/sawzall. Trim to finished size with a pattern bit in a router. You can screw the template on from the underside. 1/2" diameter bit will be fine. After the cut is perfected with the pattern bit, you can use a round-over bit (or whatever profile you choose) for the edge treatment.
Casey

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
Can I thin General Finishes oil-based Gel Stain?
My oak doors are finished in honey oak with polyurethane....
bisondaktelcom
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™