Rewiring a Bench Grinder

Dave_BurrowsFebruary 11, 2013

Hello,

In preparation to paint my bench grinder, I made an image of the electrical wiring because I figured I might not remember how it was wired. Shortly after that, I lost my MB, and replacing it means replacing some other pricey components as well. So, the deal is that for now, I can't access that image, and as I suspected, I don't remember what went where. This image is of the wiring as it has been since I took the switch, and power cord out. Could someone please tell me how this should go back together?

Thanks for your time.

Peace,

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

Who manufactured the grinder? Can you contact them or find some info on the web?

Apparently, the connections are as follows:
- A & B to the switch, it doesn't matter which blade for which.
- D to F
- E to G (D and E are interchangable)
Now the fun part:
C to either E & G (my first choice) or to D & F. If one way doesn't seem to work immediately, try the other way. A couple of seconds with the wrong connection here shouldn't cause any damage.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 1:21PM
Dave_Burrows

Super! Thanks, Randy;

She runs now. C actually went with D, & F. When connected to E, & G, it ran, but the wrong direction, and very slowly. Everything else was exactly right.

This grinder is a Chinese made "King" 6" 3/4 HP Bench Grinder, model #0189-0..

I really appreciate your having taken the time to respond.

Peace,

Dave

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 3:57PM
btharmy

You painted your bench grinder? Even removing the wiring to do so? You must REALLY like your bench grinder, more than me anyway. Sounds like my father. He is retired now and can always find a reason to be fiddling with something in the garage (usually when my mother is at home), even If there isn't really a reason at all.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 8:40PM
Dave_Burrows

I do like my grinder. It drowns out many other sounds, and the hypnotic sparks look groovy. I'm also retired. I bet your father is a cool dude. It's new, came in flat primer gray. I used a candy apple red auto lacquer. Sweet.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 3:17AM
weedmeister

BTW: from the picture, you might want to remove that ground screw and wire and then scrape away the paint underneath. Then reattach.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™