Where to find tinted lacquers

klavierJanuary 5, 2013

I was reading in a wood working magazine I picked up at Barns & Noble that an alternative to paint is tinted lacquers. I am putting together some built in shelving that will be white or ivory colored. Tinted lacquer seems like it would go on real nice with my siphon feed sprayer and would not have the thick bulky appearance that an oil based paint would have. Any ideas on this, and where to find tinted lacquers?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

There are a very few available, or tint them yourself.

Try Mohawk.

Black and white are common, other colors less so.

You can use pigment or die to color them depending on the effect desired.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 12:23

    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 12:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Lacquer toners are available in aerosol cans. But to color your own lacquer probably start withclear and add transtint dye in the desired color. Could also use the mixol kit.

Here is a link that might be useful: 24-piece Mixol Dye Universal Kit

    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 1:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I found an excellent page on how using tinted lacquers. Step by step how to for tDIY. The author uses Valspar tinted lacquer products. I was unaware that Valspar has such products.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to cabinet/furniture white lacquer

    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 2:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Valspar is one of the five or six major finish manufacturers in the world. I bought a can of the below and used as a trial before committing to some bunk beds I'm about to start.

Mine came pre-tinted to white, but a reasonable paint store should be able to tint any of it with their UTCs (Universal Tint Colors).

You will probably not find these at the big box stores, but specialty paint stores.

I have about 60 different colors of aerosol tints that I use in touch up, but I'd not recommend the small cans for anything but very small projects. Mohawk (as is Behlen, both divisions of RPM, another of the big six) and Guardsman (a division of Valspar) are the major suppliers, but there are a few other niche players.

Here is a link that might be useful: What I used on some Xmas presents

    Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 3:53PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™