3M Prestige Window Film

kcaustin68June 11, 2010

Has anyone tried this new product? It is a window film that is clear, yet blocks most of the UV rays and also a substantial amount of heat in your home. It is also nonreflective so you can actually see outside rather than your own reflection.

I got an estimate yesterday, and at about $10 a sf installed it is a pricey investment. However, it may be worth it if it reduces temperatures and fading of furnishings.

Thoughts and/or experiences???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

Window films are nothing new. They have been around for years. They work well in very hot climates when a window gets direct exposure from the sun. They do nothing for heat conduction which means after the sun goes down or keeping the heat in your house in winter. In fact they may cause higher heating bills in winter due to loss of solar heat. They also have a reputation for peeling after a few years.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 11:43AM
dgmarie

I used this product on my home last year. The window seal failed within 6 months. I would never use another window film again and am kicking myself I did in the first place.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 4:29PM
alleycatdesign

I used window film in California years ago and put it on my home in Virginia. I thought it was more beneficial in California where the heat was moderate (75 -80). In VA, our summer temps are regularly 90 to 95 degrees. The windows just bake in that heat. The film actually absorbs the heat but doesn't prevent it from entering the room. The air next to the window film is very hot. In my opinion, it is a good product to cut the UV. For heat control, I think it actually absorbs the heat making the window hotter than without the film. It is beneficial in transom windows that are very high and difficult to add a window shade. In a hot climate, I think the Low E glass is the best solution. My next best solution is solar shades or at least a pleated shade that stays closed during the heat of the day.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 9:38AM
paulac

I did some research on films. Some brands (not 3M Prestige) have metal particles embedded in the film and can interfere with wireless device use such as cell phones. As another poster mentioned, the film can make windows hot and I learned that it can invalidate double pane window warrantees because the seals fail. I am looking at other solutions to prevent sunlight from damaging furniture through a slider and preserve the Lake Michigan view from my new condo.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 1:21PM
svaughan_2010

My house is 18 years old,5 miles from the beach and faces south. Should I consider replacing the windows with insulated ones, add 3M to the existing ones or add hurricane shutters only for high wind protection? Retired and need to get the most bang for the buck.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 1:50PM
skydawggy

Depends on what you hope to accomplish.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 2:33PM
svaughan_2010

I guess what I want to accomplish is to increase wind resistance and at the same time reduce the thermal intrusion, along with saving energy.

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 12:06PM
skydawggy

I'd start looking for new windows.

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
Alside Mezzo Window Reviews
I was shown the alside mezzo window by a local contractor....
applex
Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes
Hello, I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live...
Summer
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Pros please help differentiate between two window manufacturers...
Hello, we are the midst of a new construction build...
rebph
Windows E-store windows (ECOXtreme)
We are looking at several new construction windows...
Jennifer
Sponsored Products
Boucle Cream Window Panel
$16.97 | Bellacor
Sure-Loc Front Entry Handleset
Overstock.com
Rockford Cherry Russet Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Bali SkyTrack 3/8-inch Double Cell Midnight Blackout Skylights
Blindsgalore
Blue Star Group Patio Umbrellas TERRACE MATES Adena 5-Piece Java Patio Bistro
Home Depot
Faux Linen Grommet Top Border Detail 84-inch Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
2" Fauxwood Blinds. Free Samples and Shipping!
$38.00 | Blinds.com
Toffee Gramercy Valance
$14.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™