Front door glass insert

handygirl49June 19, 2011

Has anyone ever replaced the leaded glass insert in their front door? I don't want to replace the whole door since it really is fine but the glass insert has brass"leading" and we replaced our storm door that is trimmed out in nickel. I checked with the door co. and found they don't sell just the inserts and then had a glass co. come out who could cut out a larger space and replace the glass (couldn't get current glass size) with what we wanted to the tune of $634. I could buy a new door for that. The door is a steel front entry door with a small rectangular insert which has a "plastic" frame around it. I've looked at getting this frame off and now am afraid I'll break this and won't be able to get a replacement for it. Things should not be this difficult!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

It will probably be difficult as most of the Steel Door companies from 10,15 or 20 yrs ago are gone, either out of business or purchased by larger companies.As such plus the fact that pretty much every company used different size glass you may be out of luck, without cutting a larger hole in your existing door. Not to be a barer of bad news but you will run into the same issue with the frame as none of the companies frames are interchangeable for the same reasons.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Requesting feedback re: interior bronze window frames
My home is a small (1500 sq. ft.) contemporary with...
texasgal47
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™