Replacement windows for 1940's home

albryantJune 16, 2010

Our 1 1/2 story house was built in the 1940s and has eight over eight, true divided (I think) single pane glass windows. The majority of the windows cannot be opened even with trying to open them from the inside and outside. The windows are so drafty, even with storm windows on the outside. We replaced the old HVAC which helped our energy bill tremendously, but I know that replacing the windows would also help (plus it would be nice to actually open them!)

I don't have a clue where to even begin in looking for a possible replacement. I've read these forums and see some positive reviews for different companies, but I don't know how to choose a material? I very much like the way our wood windows look, but I don't know if vinyl or aluminum are better?

If it were your home, what would you choose? And is this a project that can be done piecemeal, or is it better to just save up and do them all at once (that might take us a while). We have 14 openings.

Thanks for any insight or suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

Best advice I can give you is to get off the internet and go out and start looking at windows in person. Look in the Yellow Pages and find a few dealers in your area that have showrooms where you can go and look at different windows. It's the only way you are going to be able to start deciding what you like and don't like.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 12:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Educate yourself prior to getting estimates if you can help it.

You will be the better for it and be able to sort through the BS.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Which LoE coating ?
New construction. House located in Knoxville, Tennessee Front...
buildinse
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Lrw2a
Softlite Elements windows quote reasonable?
We're in MA. We've been quoted $13,300 for installing...
ppurus
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
new construction vs "replacement" windows
I am somewhat confused from reading various company...
mmdoh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™