masonite palazzo interior door - hollow or solid?

confused_newbieJanuary 24, 2007

hi all,

i went to home depot today to look for an interior door for my bathroom, and i wanted a solid core MDF. i like the designs of the masonite palazzo doors, but i was told by the home depot guy that it is hollow cored. it does feel solid though. on the label it doesn't say whether it is solid or hollow cored, and i couldn't find an answer from the masonite site. the home depot guy didn't seem to know what he is doing, that's why i am asking here :) thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jan9

The Masonite doors are available in their "Safe and Sound" series which are filled Masonite doors. It's some sort of a particle board filling so it's not as heavy as solid MDF but much heftier than a hollow door. Look around the millwork desk at HD there's probably a pamplet or two describing the Masonite line.

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 1:59AM
confused_newbie

thanks - i looked around and you are right, they do have the safe n sound doors which are somewhat like solid core. the thing i am confused about is, the masonite solid core costs exactly as much as the safe n sound, so which one is better? if the safe n sound is in between solid and hollow, why should i spend just as much on a safe n sound vs a solid core? their website and pamplets aren't very informative...

Bookmark   January 29, 2007 at 1:33PM
lollyflaherty_Hotmail_com

Solid core doors are just solid thru and thru, safe n sound are solid, fire rated and sound proof. Fire rated from 20 mins up to 60 mins, giving you time to exit if there is a fire. Solid core doors donot block the noise from coming thru.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™