Under Cabinet Lighting - Opposite Walls - One Dimmer Switch

kathy_waFebruary 27, 2010

Doing some hard-wired under cabinet LED lighting, pretty straightforward except for one issue. I've got a short run of kitchen cabinets on an opposite wall that I'd like to also be controlled by the same ELV dimmer switch. I think it can be done this way:

Dimmer Switch -> 14AWG in wall to Cabinet Junction Box - > 1st run of Under Cabinet Lighting (~20' linear cabinets) ->Cabinet Junction Box ->14AWG in wall over to opposite wall ->Cabinet Junction Box -> 2nd run of Under Cabinet Lighting (~2').

I was planning on using the Phillips eW Profile lighting and it seems they even offer a handy junction box to do this with:

http://www.colorkinetics.com/support/userguides/eW_Profile_PC_Switched_Junction_Box_Install.pdf.

It says it can do up to 50' continuous run and apparently the transformer is built-in.

Hopefully some kind person can give me some advice. Thanks :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Phillips eW Profile LED

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Sure, it looks like it should work. You could also run two 14-2 runs from the dimmer to each section of lighting.

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 10:21AM
kathy_wa

Awesome, thanks! Might actually be easier to just do the second run to the lighting on the opposite wall, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 10:35AM
joed

The junction box you linked has a switch in it. You don't need a switch if you have a wall switch. They do show links at both ends so you should be feed through to the other set.
Both sets will be controlled by the same switch however.

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 11:18AM
kathy_wa

Yikes! thanks for pointing that out Joed - that is the wrong box. The installation instructions show the right one (altho I don't see any reason not to just use a regular outlet box with a plate).

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 8:42PM
brickeyee

" The installation instructions show the right one (altho I don't see any reason not to just use a regular outlet box with a plate)."

If you do not want blank plates scattered around for junction boxes you can also use the kitchen counter receptacle boxes a junction boxes fro wiring the under cabinet lighting.

Watch carefully for box fill, and you might even have to use 4 inch square boxes and a plaster ring for some of the counter receptacles to get a large enough box.

Since the runs to the under cabinet lights are all 120 V, all the regular NEC rules apply, but having different circuits share a junction box is allowed.

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 11:04AM
kathy_wa

Thanks for the tip, brickeyee about the shared junction box.

In this case, I plan to "hide" the junction boxes inside the upper cabinets. Just have to get that cut just right in the cabinet :)

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
phil2015
Badly done multi-wire circuits (previous owner strikes again..)
I bought a 1940-ish house last year, for which the...
quahog
Inspection Report
Had a gorgeous 1909 house inspected yesterday and don't...
cmae17
Want to save shower recessed light
I have 2 matching recessed lights in my bathroom. One...
africanboy
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
maggiepatty
Sponsored Products
Kubik Rectangular Wall Sconce by Zaneen
$355.68 | Lumens
60" Emerson Loft Brushed Steel Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Napoli II Ceiling Fan by Minka Aire Fans
$579.95 | Lumens
RION Furniture - Isabelle Eastern King Headboard in Hand Rubbed...
Great Furniture Deal
Robert Abbey Ant Bee Pharmacy Head Swinger Plug-In Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Wood Wall Hook
$21.99 | zulily
Casa Olde Black One-Light Wall Sconce
$139.00 | Bellacor
Hamilton Oversized Pen
Grandin Road
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™