Infinite Switch turns on VR1000-can I keep in new kitchen redo?

SparklingWaterFebruary 13, 2013

I am in the bowels of kitchen ventilation mapping and could really use your help.

In place is a working infinite wall switch (115 V, 60 cycle, off/high/med/low) which turns on a Trade Wind VR 1000 cfm external blower. The generic 42" under cabinet vent hood is mounted to a Thermador VCH 6 or VCH 8 (venting control housing) and vents vertically using 3"d x 20" w x height of straight duct before a rear elbow turn back into a joist, up/over to a transition to 10" circular duct running to the VR1000. Everything works fine and air pull is good.

In our upcoming kitchen re-model, can I use our infinite wall switch linked to the VR1000 motor with capacitor external blower with any similar new vent hood purchase that uses an infinite rather than variable switch to control the motor? I plan to leave the exterior blower and electrical in place since it is not broken. Infinite wiring is infinite, right? Nothing has changed on this over time?

All specs/installation sheets will be gone over in detail before purchase and use. I'm just trying to determine if I can use motor and infinite wall switch in place if these plus duct run matches new vent hood requirements.

Thank you very much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SparklingWater

No nibbles, here? To sum up, I'm hoping to leave an existing working exterior wall blower in place as well as its conduit to the infinite wall switch which controls the exterior blower being turned on. It's a 1000 cfm motor and 5 amp wall switch which vent the current hood well. I want to replace the hood to have greater capture depth.

Just trying to get an idea of infinite wiring ever changes? If I install a new blower with infinite switch, is that compatible with the infinite wiring currently run from exterior of house to kitchen?

Thank you for commenting, even if this is not feasible. My appliance dealer says infinite wiring is infinite.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 4:25PM
weedmeister

I'd love to get my hands on that infinite wiring. An infinite source of copper at $$/lb would be like winning the lottery.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 5:08PM
SparklingWater

Ha weedmeister, my point exactly and inference understood!

Why pull working conduit and replace it with new through a convoluted run involving spaced ceiling cuts and conduit pulling? All leading to a working wall switch that just happens to be infinite not the new variable?

Well, it appears this wiring question is too hot. I've got some further ideas, now just have to find discussion of and answers to them.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 17:10

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™