Two circuits, one box?

kudzu9February 5, 2014

I'm remodeling and making some minor changes to a 20 amp circuit that I intend to extend. I took out a receptacle at the end of the run and have a free piece of wire that isn't long enough to make it to my first new receptacle location. However, nearby is a large plastic, electrical box on the wall that has a sconce mounted on it and one 14/2 w/g running in to it from a switch on a separate circuit. Since there is plenty of volume in the box for more wires, and I can reach it with the end of my free wire, I'm considering bringing the end of it into this box, splicing it to another piece of 12/2, and running this new piece on to a new receptacle box from there.

I would simply be using the box for the sconce as a junction box for this separate 20 amp circuit where I wire-nutted two pieces of 12/2 together. Is there any problem from a code compliance standpoint of having these two separate circuits sharing one box as long as I don't exceed box fill requirements? Also, I presume that I just wire nut the two grounds in the 12/2 together, rather than wire nutting them to the ground for the 14/2 cable...correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

No problem so long as box fill limits are not exceeded. If circuits of different voltages are in the same enclosure, there must be a partition between them. In residences 120 and 240 volt circuits do not require partitions since the voltage to ground is 120 in both cases.

Here is a link that might be useful: Partitions

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 7:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

bus_driver-
As usual, thanks for the good advice.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
phil2015
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
Disposer Power Cord
I recently bought a GE disposal online. The model is...
africanboy
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
panchoandlefty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™