Rotted Andersen vinyl clad window

daveskiJune 30, 2008

Does anyone know if there is a way to repair rotted wood inside an Andersen vinyl clad casement window? Mine are 16 years old and the sill is apparently rotted in the lower corner of the frame, where the hinge attaches.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Not worth repairing usually. If the frame is rotted (which is likely the case if the sill is rotted at the frame), a full replacement is advisable.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 2:08PM
bosque1

The question is, why are they rotting? Andersen has had a big problem with the casement vinyl cracking at the corners.(especially the Terratone color) This would then cause this water to enter and rot the wood. Call Andersen at 1-888-888-7020 and tell them you have a vinyl cracking problem. They should replace them. If they give you a hard time, yell louder. They have been replacing thousands of faulty sashes with this problem since the 80s. Good luck

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 2:24AM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Most interior rotting on Andersen and Pella is due to condensation on the glass which permeates the wood and decays it over time.

Those metal spacers of yesteryear were bad performers.

Michael

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 9:10PM
shaqd

Wood rots when it gets damp and mildew and mold set in.

The longer it sets damp or wet, the quicker it rots.

Also, some wood species are more susceptible to rot. Pine falls to pieces quite quickly.

Next time, buy Douglas Fir.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 6:56PM
mcsbldr

In response to the above post regarding the rot resistency of wood, pine and fir are very closely similar in this characteristic, with fir being the difference of about a week longer in resistency. If one is looking for a rot resistent wood species, look to cedar, teak, mahogany or cypres, among others. Don't be fooled by industry gimmicks about Douglas fir, or wood dipped in preservatives, etc.

If the frame core has rotted on your Andersen window, or any other manufacturer's window, it is time for a replacement. In my opinion, the problem with the Andersen product lies in the use of plastic or vinyl, to clad the structural wood core. Plastic/vinyl materials are disposable products, thus they are not a good protective cover from permanent fixtures of any home.

Currently, all wood windows appear to be the best source for long-lasting windows. However, if one is concerned about low-maintenance, the use of extruded aluminum cladding has proven to out-perform roll-formed or vinyl cladding.

Contact Andersen and ask them about a discounted price or "recall" on the window with which you are having problems.

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 11:06PM
dontworryaboutit_eatme_com

You are seeing this because of int condensation. Andersen won't warrant them because 1-interior condensation is something that you have control of and 2-you are outside of their warranty.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
Feedback / sanity check on Marvin & Kolbe quotes
So I got my rough quotes from a local Marvin Design...
aptosca
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™