New construction, who to get window quotes from?
Looking to build a new construction home in Portland, Oregon. Builders preferred window supplier seems to be Jeld-wen. I'd never heard of them and am building from outside the state. Posts I've found have been less than kind about them.
1.No matter which window we look at, it won't be the builder grade window. Even Jeld-wen, based on our builders initial proposal, he is hoping to use their premium vinyl series.
2. Low maintenance is a must. Willing to consider either vinyl or fiberglass based on initial research.
3. Bronze (dark) or black exterior to match with the windows in the development is probably going to be a condition of the builder. We'd prefer to have the same matching color interior if possible, or a wood stained option.
4. Gothic shaped windows for the front elevation is a want, I've heard wonderful things about Marvin windows for example, but their fiberglass line doesn't seem to have the custom capability.
5. 4 panel glass sliding patio door (2 operational doors 2 fixed) is going to be used on probably both the main level and the basement.
6. We're not planning to go anywhere once this house is built unless disaster strikes. Its a longterm investment so we want to balance quality with budget and get the best we can afford.
7. Energy efficiency is important, as the home is going to be energy advantage certified.
So all that being said..can anyone here point me towards windows I should be looking to get quotes from when the time comes. I can check local availability there in Portland but it seems like windows are just one of those products that has complaints about every brand.. My first instinct is to go with Jeld-wen because its who my builder has a working relationship with and why would he work with a company that's been problematic in the past. On the flip side I want a quality product and I know builders do not always have the homeowners in mind.