Fleetwood aluminum pocket windows

talkingdogJune 27, 2006

Hi,

We are spec'ing a modern house with great views and want windows that open wide. Options thus far are bifolds and pocket sliders. I don't especially like bifolds, plus they are pretty expensive.

I've located pocket slider, Fleetwoods 3070-CR pocket. I gather that this is a very high end window. Has anyone any experience with Fleetwood and any idea of what we're talking moneywise?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lorraineal

We opted for the Fleetwood thermally-broken aluminum windows and sliding glass doors. Fleetwood makes commercial-grade windows. Ours are thick, solid and wonderful. But not cheap. IIFC they were roughly twice (or more) what comparable vinyl would have been.

Make sure to find a good window company to order them through. There are many different options - glass thickness/type/frame/color/etc. You want to be sure you are getting the correct windows for your applications. For example, we went with laminated glass on the big western-facing sliders to cut down on possible UV damage.

Also, if you decide to order one of their custom frame colors, be prepared for up to a 12 week lead time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fleetwood's website

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 10:05AM
talkingdog

Thank you. That's about what I expected. So we're talking about $1000 per window, or more, on average?

I am primarily interested in their pocket patio door, as this seems to be a fairly unique product.

In my local market, Tostem has recently introduced a pocket sliding door with a lot of great features for around $400 per running foot in a maximum 9 foot opening. I have a feeling Fleetwood is probably available in still bigger sizes.

From what you describe, this sounds like the kind of balcony doors I often encounter in modern hotels. Very heavy and thick aluminum extrusions, built to withstand a hurricane blast. So heavy you have to really put your shoulder into it to get them open. Like a YKK commercial window.

How are they on the energy efficiency and condensation?

Bookmark   July 1, 2006 at 12:44AM
lorraineal

IIRC the Fleetwood website touts each window's U-factor. The ones we used were truly quite good for aluminum.

I actually went to the Fleetwood factory in Riverside where they have a showroom featuring their different styles of doors and windows. AFA being hard to open, they have an option (something like a maxi-wheel or some-such) that allows their sliders to open with the touch of a finger. It adds a fair chunk of change to the cost so we didn't go for it, but it would have been nice. As it is, our 4'x8' panels do take a bit of push to get going, but nothing heroic.

Condensation is not an issue with So. Cal's low humidity so I can't help you there.

They really are a very good quality window company - and their pricing reflects that.

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 12:30AM
talkingdog

I don't need a lot of U-factor, but I would like to avoid condensation.

Sounds like the YKK commercial windows favored by our architects. I actually prefer the lighter YKK residential grade windows, which open feather-like on their "barrier free" non-rail track. But these don't come in 4x8.

Would you be kind enough to share with me the pricing on your 4x8 slider?

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 1:36AM
lorraineal

It's hard to compare apples-to-apples because there are so many variables.

We had a custom color and used laminated glass. Plus we got a smokin' deal through a friend of a friend. Our pricing was just under $2600 a year-and-a-half ago for an 8'x8' OX slider. (That's a 4'x8' door that slides past a similarly sized fixed panel.)

The 16'x8' OXXO door was a touch over $5000. (Two 4'x8' outward sliding panels in the middle with fixed panels at either end.)

Fleetwood will custom make almost any size you need.

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 12:47AM
talkingdog

That's not such a bad price when you factor in the laminated glass. Lowly Milgard's 8X8 aluminum patio door with laminated glass is $2200.

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Andersen Renewal vs Starmark Windows
i currently have a secondary home that we are re designing...
branlance
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
please help with choice of replacement window
hello everyone....I need some help deciding on which...
balboa64
Is this too much to pay?
My mom has two sets of French doors she needs to have...
joaniben
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™