Wiring a Set of Adjacent Fixtures

baumgrenzeFebruary 8, 2011

I am wiring a set 8 of up-facing light fixtures on top of a kitchen cabinet. Does it make any real difference if I leave the supply wires uncut and carefully strip enough insulation to allow me to attach the fixture with a wire-nut, or can I cut the supply wire to length and wire from fixture to fixture, tying in the fixture and the wire to the next fixture?

Thanks,

baumgrenze

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

I'm confused. If you're not going to cut the wire, how on earth are you going to get a wire nut on it.

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 8:00AM
jaysgarden

I'm confused also. SOunds like he may wants to daisy chain them together but is asking about parallel wiring.

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 9:37AM
baumgrenze

I was afraid this would be unclear. I tried hard to avoid the 'well defined' terms "series" and "parallel."

It is a bit more work, but I can run the hot and neutral leads through the entire string of fixtures, then remove a long enough segment of insulation so that I can fold back the wire and twist it with the appropriate fixture lead and cap it with a wire-nut. This approach leaves the wiring intact.

I asked mostly to learn how a licensed electrician would approach the problem, whether the idea of the last fixture being connected to the switched outlet through eight successive wire-nuts is considered poor practice or acceptable practice. Think of it in terms of connecting a circuit by means of back-wiring through a DIY receptacle. I know that this is done, but that it is considered poor practice.

I hope this clears up any ambiguity in my original post.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 11:13AM
DavidR

I'm not a pro, but I can't imagine one doing what you describe, and I wouldn't do it myself. It would take way too much time.

When properly applied (meaning good and tight), a wirenut makes a solid, reliable splice. There is nothing wrong with using multiple splices in a run like you describe.

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 3:57PM
Ron Natalie

I understand stripping back a piece of uncut wire. What I don't understand is how you envision getting a wire nut on that. There's NO way a conventional "wire nut" is going to do that. There may be other connectors that could be placed on a running splice like that, but that escapes me (other than certain insulation displacement type things designed for cordage).

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Oil in Motor of Ironrite Rotary Iron. what do I do now?
Hi, I just bought an old 1946 Ironrite rotary iron...
lucinda002
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
mtvhike
Electrical Problem.
My mom's house has a problem with the lights temporarily...
Debra Johnson
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
2 Lights Out on 4 Light Fixture
I was sitting at my dining room table, heard a tiny...
Cassandra
Sponsored Products
Moen T6125 Kingsley Two-Handle Chrome High Arc Bathroom Faucet
Overstock.com
Auburn Old Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture
$398.00 | Bellacor
Ondrian Oval Wall Sconce by Hubbardton Forge
$530.00 | Lumens
Filament Design Wall Mounted Infinite Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Black
$26.04 | Home Depot
Atlantis Tubs 6060VDR Venus 60 x 60 x 23 - Inch Rectangular Air & Whirlpool Jett
Beyond Stores
Energy Saving Farmhouse Five-Light Chandelier In Bronze
$283.10 | Bellacor
DreamLine Unidoor Plus 72 in.H x 30 in.D x 30.375 in.W Frameless Hinged Shower E
Overstock.com
Titan Lighting Lamps 13 in. Tiffany Bronze Table Lamp TN-12270
$90.00 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™