Replacement window installation and insulation

dctonycMay 13, 2014

I am planning to replace windows in my house with Okna 500 series Deluxe package which is foam filled. I read on this forum that when installing replacement windows, steps should be taken to apply proper insulation around the window, which makes sense to me. I also saw people emphasizing putting insulation foam to weight pockets. Since I am installing replacement windows already foam filled, is that right that I should not worry about insulation in weight pockets? What exactly should I ask/request the window company/installer to do in terms of proper insulation when installing new windows? Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmarse1

I prefer using foam around the perimeter of the window. That said, if the gap between the window and original frame is too narrow, foam will not fit so using just a sealant would suffice. Remember, your okna will have full foam wrap around the window to thwart air leakage.
If you actually have weight pockets, only very old homes do, its totally acceptable to use fiberglass insulation due to the cavity being wide. You could use foam but its alot of extra foam and your installer will have to charge extra for that. Usually $20-25 per window extra. Regardless, the weight pocket should be insulated.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 7:53

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 7:50AM
dctonyc

Thank you. The house is built in 60s, what is the likelihood that it has weight pockets? Assuming there is none, so simple caulking around the perimeter would suffice, if the space is tight between the new window and the original frame. Is that right? Thanks.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 9:42AM
dctonyc

another question I have is whether it is worthwhile to upgrade to three-pane windows at a cost of $65 per window, which will reduce U-value from .25 to .19. I am in NY.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 9:46AM
mmarse1

If the home was built in the 1960's, you do NOT have weight pockets.
$65 for triple pane/ Argon is worth it in my opinion.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 10:06AM
UltraWindows

I agree, triple pane for $65.00 each is a worthwhile upgrade.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
need window advice about a retro fit window in new opening thats finis
can i put a retro fit in a new window opening if i...
abatt64
Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes
Hello, I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live...
Summer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™