Mosaic clawfoot tub?

gardenitisAugust 18, 2010

I am a first time poster on this forum, but a long time lurker and learner.

I have an old cast iron clawfoot bath tub. I was hoping to mosaic around the outside of it and use it as a feature planting bed in my garden. It would have to stay out in the elements during our Canadian winter (temps dip to about -20 degrees celcius with lots of freezing/thawing cycles).

So my question is - Is this do-able? Would I have to use special tiles, adhesive, grout, etc? Any special preparation to the surface before tiling?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gardenitis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

IMO, it is VERY doable. If I were doing this project, I'd give the tub a thorough cleaning/sanding, then I'd use thinset w/a polymer admixture for the adhesive. In some climates porcelain is suggested for your purposes. Check w/your local tile store. If I were in your place, I'd use the thinset also for grout. Be sure and post pictures of your WIPs.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 6:03AM
Calamity_J

YES! Very doable! I go to a tile store(specialty, not Home depot) and get some outdoor> mortar, sealer, grout, maybe ask them if they think if diamond lath would help build up the base? And I would use porceline, slate, rock, glass, as I have been here on Vancouver Island BC, and have found thru trial and error, that these are the precautions I use now for long term success with our weather.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 12:42PM
gardenitis

Thanks so much for your thoughts Calamity and Slowmedown...I'm going to hunt down the materials and start it this spring. I'll post photos when I get going.

Again, I really appreciate your advice!

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 7:45AM
More Discussions
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™