Article 210.63 and others re attic HACR servicing?

fixizinFebruary 7, 2011

Apologies in advance--recently moved, and can't find my Mullins text (or martini glasses) to save my life. =:O

Anyway, seem to remember that NECs of late require at least one dual 120V recep and one fixed (non pull-chain?) light in proximity to attic-mounted air handler, to facilitate servicing of same.

I'm pretty sure the light needs a cage protecting the bulb, yes/no/links to suitable fixtures?

Acceptable location of light switch in relation to attic hatch? Extra points for night-light switch?

Also thinking the receptacle can't be too close to attic hatch, nor too far away, yes/no/hard numbers?

Does recep have to be GFCI?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

I don't know of any specific lighting requirement. It might be a local code.

The receptacle is Art.210.63

A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means.

Swamp coolers are exempted. No GFCI requirement.

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 11:37AM
Ron Natalie

Attics with equipment are covered by 210.70

(3) Storage or Equipment Spaces. For attics, underfloor spaces, utility rooms, and basements, at least one lighting outlet containing a switch or controlled by a wall switch shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or contain equipment requiring servicing. At least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces. The lighting outlet shall be provided at or near the equipment requiring servicing.

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 11:40AM
fixizin

Thanks... sounds like a lot of latitude there on the light and switch... thought I remembered an illustration in Mullins, with double-ended arrows showing allowable range of distances from attic hatch, etc... obviously it must've been the recep-to-HACR-unit distance.

On my way... w/ FLEX and THWN... and strappage...

PS: that exemption for swamp coolers is kinda humorous... as if the "SwpClrMfrsAssn" has a big lobbying firm, lol.

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
sniffdog
Can I electrify battery-operated lights?
Hi all. Is there a way to electrify a battery operated...
eam44
Can you make a splice inside one of these?
The reason I ask is my neighbor's house was destroyed...
schreibdave
Same circuit for AC air handler and whole-house fan?
Hi, I've got a furnace/air handler in my attic. I was...
elofgren
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Sponsored Products
Emerald Home Server - Linen - D223-50
$849.99 | Hayneedle
Dimplex Montgomery Corner Entertainment Center Electric Fireplace - GDS25-1057E
Hayneedle
Duckling by ARCHITECTMADE
$79.00 | Lumens
Campania International All Creatures Great and Small Garden Statue - A-472-AL
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Carolina Certificate Frame
$14.99 | zulily
ACF by Nameeks ACF CP07-GO City Play 29-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Gray Oa
Hayneedle
Red Clover Mason Jar & Straw
$12.99 | zulily
Linon Trio Area Rug - Beige - RUG-TARL0223
$36.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™