Grouting questions

crazymosaicsAugust 11, 2008

Hello,

I have a question on grouting on glass, do I just use regular grout or do I need to add something to the grout?

Both projects are using broken pieces of stained glass glued to antoehr piece of glass.

Also, what color grout should I use for the lighthouse picture and the vase? this will only be my second time grouting and I want to make sure to do them right:

I didn't know if I should do black grout for both or dark grey. I want the lighthouse and butterflies to stand out.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasfern

I don't like giving grout color advise, that is such a personal choice, but since the lighthouse looks like it has been grouted with a dark color in the pic, I would go with the black, with maybe grey for the sky.
I would suggest sanded grout.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 11:36AM
texaswild

Amen to what TX says - I, personally, like dark charcoal. I agree w/TX on the background on your lighthouse showing how well the black is. The liquid charcoal at Lowes for coloring concrete is so dark it's almost black, and that's what I'm using lately on everything, when I don't have black. This w/probably be the one I use on everything in the future. All that to say this: You get to choose. If you don't like it afterwards, there's the good ole acrylic paints in many colors. You can change it as many times as you like.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 1:22PM
cindiloo

I agree about the charcoal (sanded) grout for the lighthouse pic. I think I would go lighter for the butterfly vase...a light gray usually works with just about anything! Grout color is such a tough thing to call...

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 3:28PM
lovemosaics

An Idea for glass on glass stuff...
I have only done a few, and I wish this worked for everything..I have ton's of fabric, and I lay my pieces on different colors to help me decide. I wish it was that easy on everything! Before I thought of the material, I would paint the back side with craft paint first, and then scrape it off with a razor blade ( come's off like butter) Hope that helps!

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 3:16AM
texaswild

What a wonderful idea, LOVE. That's a great tip.

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 8:37AM
crazymosaics

Thanks Lovemosaics, that's a great idea!! I would have never thought to use fabric but I'm going to JoAnn's this weekend :)

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
Sponsored Products
Belham Living San Miguel Cast Aluminum Dining Arm Chair- Set of 4 - 22-99144
$909.99 | Hayneedle
Teak Shower Bench
Grandin Road
Arcadia Tray
$329.00 | FRONTGATE
Belham Living San Miguel Cast Aluminum Dining Swivel Rocker with Wicker Seat- Se
$609.98 | Hayneedle
Belham Living San Miguel Cast Aluminum Deep Seat Swivel Rocker- Set of 2 Multico
Hayneedle
Uttermost Cosmas Mosaic Mirrored Table Lamp
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™