Suwannee River Mosaic....just starting

floridagirl_mosaicAugust 7, 2009

Good morning everyone! About 8 years ago I made a University of Florida Gator mosaic for my husband. That was my first and only mosaic. After a recent trip to North Florida I took a piture of an old bridge on the Suwannee River. Both of my inlaws love taking the boat up the river to look at that bridge...so i thought i would make a mosaic to give them as a gift. If i start now I should finish by christmas :) For the past few days I've gone out and bought ceramic/porcelin tiles from Home Depot and Lowes. I also purhcased a Brutus Tile Nipper...if someone knows of a better brand let me know. I still have the receipt to take it back!

The problem I'm having is what to apply it to. Should i use plywood or cement board? Do you think the weight from the tiles, board, grout, etc....will stay on the wall? If you were making a wall mosaic how would YOU do it? I'd like to get started today laying out the design...all you have to do is give me a little advise :) Here's a picture of the bridge. I will post pics along the way. If I'm brave enough i might even post a pic of the first mosaic :) thanks Jen

[IMG]http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/jpagliai/jenspalm084.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flagtruck

Hi Jen and welcome. I believe the best nippers made for sale are Starrett Nippers and I hear someone on ebay is offering them for sale. The normal price is aroung $70 but most of us use Lepponties. I am not sure if that is spelled right. They won't be available locally either, They are wheeled nippers and great on glass, china etc. You can get them from an online supplier. If your river mosaic is for inside there is a product called Wendi board that is lightweight and comes with a hanging system. Go check it out at www.marylandmosaics.com and if you order use gardenweb in the coupon box and get a 10% discount. She has a lot of good stuff there, she may even have the nippers and her shipping is fast and customer service is the greatest. If you don't go with the Wendiboard, you can get Hardibacker board which is at Lowes usually at the end of the tile or grout aisle. This board is made to apply tile to like in showers but a lot of us use it for everything. I can't tell you how to figure out how to hang it though. Maybe someone else on here can do that.
Good luck and keep us posted. Carol

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 11:38AM
floridagirl_mosaic

Thanks for the advice. Looking on marylandmosaics right now :) I found the Leponitt nippers there. The Wendiboard board looks perfect just not big enough. I will go to Lowes later and look for the other. Thanks again

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 12:13PM
Calamity_J

Hi Floridagirl!! You might want to check out a tile store, they usually have hardibacker board, which is what they use to make subfloors/walls for tiling. I hope you keep us up to date with work in progress(WIP)pics!!! have fun!

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 6:04PM
wackyweeder

Whatever you choose, take my advice and figure out the hanger and put it on BEFORE you do your piece. there are many ways to hang a heavy piece but its too late after you have glassed or it will be ruined. wedi has special hanger screw thingys that are applied before you start to work. If its really huge, or really heavy a french cleat may be needed.

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
Wonder Horse... getting started!
A couple weeks ago I introduced myself to you all and...
solstice98
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
Sponsored Products
Luli Sanchez LSF04 Dark Ivory Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Rug
$74.52 | Bellacor
Serena & Lily Wayne Pate Turtle Pillow Cover
Serena & Lily
Gordon Lounge Chair in Blue
$599.99 | Dot & Bo
Sports Step Stool