Window Replacement in Northern VA

Niki FriedmanMay 31, 2009

We are looking to have some of our 30 yr old windows replaced. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

First you need to decide whether you want wood, vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum or a composite.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 10:29PM
hazmatt

Don't know if I'm too late to be of any use -- we live in NVa, and used Hodges (Falls Church) for a replacement French door ten years ago. They have been absolutely terrific on all aspects of the process: informative, no-pressure sale, great handling of a mix-up in the order (door came unprimed when it had been ordered primed; they primed it onsite for a faster install rather than wait for a replacement, having asked which option I preferred), and great ongoing service -- they have come out twice to fix the screens and double-check the locking mechanism, always for free and never asking to see the original receipt or anything. I highly recommend them. (and no, I'm not in any way affiliated with them, I just think they're a really good, old-fashioned-service firm) But they don't carry all brands, so if you know you want Marvins, for example, I think you'd have to go elsewhere.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 1:46PM
skydawggy

So, they ordered the door incorrectly, have had to come out twice to fix the screens and also the locking mechanism and you highly recommend them?

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 1:55PM
windowsonwashington

I don't like to encourage Sky's sometimes acerbic sense of humor but that is pretty funny.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 9:08AM
hazmatt

Made me smile, too -- but in explanation: they showed me the order and it was correct; it was Norco that messed up (and they admitted it) on the original order. The screens were pushed out of their rim twice in ten years by my son, once as a toddler and once at age 4 when he was "testing" (putting all his weight on) them. The lock needed to be tweaked once, a fifteen-minute job. Maybe I'm too forgiving, but those seemed like reasonable things to go "wrong," and I thought the local company handled the issues promptly and well. That gets a recommendation from me. (At least I gave full disclosure of what constituted good service in my opinion, right? Viennamommy is free to disagree and cross them off her list...)

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 3:17PM
skydawggy

Heh, heh... Hodges has a pretty good reputation and they have been around for a long time. I would have no problem recommending them either.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Laurel Wittman
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™