Finished Mirror and Sconces, Calamity!

texasfernAugust 30, 2009

I just resined them yesterday Calamity, and I was going to wait to get better pictures but I still haven't gotten my camera back from my son.

Working with this resin is very intense for me, I am still worn out! I masking taped the things until I was blue in the face, but it was worth it. The tape came off and no drippy mess with the resin.

These are a couple wraps I was messin with. I like these. Will do more of them. I overestimated the amount of resin, had a bit left over and had to toss it. That was soooo difficult for me as I am so very cheap. Next time I will have some back up projects ready to use up the extras.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathyscache

Tex they are all so beautiful!!! What kind of resin do U use? And is there a resin for outdoors??? How hard to use is it??? I have a piece I might want to resin.

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 12:01PM
Calamity_J

Good job!!! Love the whole resin idea!!! I know it's been around for a while, but WOW! You do it up real good!!!! I'm gonna keep that extra resin thing in mind if I ever do it, so I don't waste any of that resin goodness!!!lol!

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 5:16PM
mermaidmosaics

Tex, that turned out gorgeous. I love the design and color choice and that resin makes it really POP in color. I am always worn out when I resin too. Most of the time I have some sorta work to do because of the resin. Twice I had the piece actually stick to the work board. ROFL but I wasn't laughing them. what a mess. . Though my last sign for my sis worked perfectly. and when it works I LOVE the look, just like your piece.
Mind telling us how you did it, sounds like lots of taping but take us on a step by step.
thanks

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 8:21PM
texaswild

Oh, there's those charmin' pieces again. I LOVE how they turned out. Somewhere I saw you wrap gems w/clay, and I'm still trying to find them. I've had those in my mind ever since I got back and saw them. One more thing that has me going past crazy - I wanna try those. Possibilities are endless. 'course, I'm on an outside garden art kick right now, and not doing inside mosaics. Hope something doesn't push these ideas of yours I wanna try outta line. Beautiful work, TX.

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 4:52AM
texasfern

Thanks you guys.
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back here. I have no idea why.
I have one more mirror like this one, but I can't seem to get a picture of what to do with it.
May go shabby chic.
Cathy, I use that Enviro Tex you can find at Michaels. I did find it at a better price online tho. As far as outdoors, I am not sure what to use. Seems like someone here has discussed it.
It is not that it is hard to use, you just have to use small amounts at a time, and I just get tense for some reason.
Linda as far as instructions go, I just painted the substrate, glued the stuff on, and masking taped it like there was no tomorrow. Poured the resin on, moved it around with a popsicle stick, took one of those long bic lighter things to it to get out the air bubbles and left it alone for 6 hours.
You do want to set a box or something over it to keep the dust and in my case dog hair (who said rotties don't shed?) from it.
I set my things on a rack so that if some resin, and it always does, drips it is not a problem.
Be sure you tape enough of the bottom of the piece so that it won't run around the edge to the back. I have heard of using modeling clay snakes around the edges too to make a barrier. I haven't tried this yet but I will. Seems like a waste tho cuz I would think you couldn't use the clay again, but it would be way less time consuming to say nothing of easier. I am just so cheap.
Whew, well I hope this helps.
Thanks you guys.

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 10:26AM
kraftkrazy

i buy the envirotex resin from michaels,, but never ever buy it without a coupon,, that makes it more affordable. someone on the other forum posted this link, i have printed the coupons and they work at my michaels

http://dealspl.us/michaels-coupons

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 11:40AM
cindywe

I poured envirotex resin on my outdoor mosaic table, now I see it is not recommended for outdoor use. I wonder what will happen, will it crack from the sun exposure?

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 12:04PM
nicethyme

its definitely going to yellow and cloud up with UV exposure

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
Wonder Horse... getting started!
A couple weeks ago I introduced myself to you all and...
solstice98
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Sponsored Products
Simple Lines Single Light with Dome Glass Wall Sconce- Large by Hubbardton Forge
$184.00 | Lumens
Lambert Hill Black Outdoor Wall Lantern
$44.60 | Bellacor
Afina Signature Collection Triple Door 44W x 30H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cabi
Hayneedle
Montecello 2-Light Pewter Wall Sconce
$88.20 | PLFixtures
Mericana 1 Light Old Bronze w/ Natural Linen Sconce
Overstock.com
Uttermost Portici 53" H Antiqued Ivory Wall or Floor Mirror
Lamps Plus
Greenr Mirror
Grandin Road
Capital Lighting River Crest Mediterranean Wall Sconce
1800Lighting
People viewed this after searching for: