Fiberglass windows

DomiNationMay 14, 2013

I posted earlier about how we are having all of our windows redone with complete installs (down to the studs). At the time of that posting, I was considering Vinyl and Fibrex. From the education I've been receiving, I'm now intrigued by fiberglass. Sounds like lots of people recommend Marvin windows that are fiberglass. Why is this a better choice than vinyl and do fiberglass windows have as many options to make the interior match a wood grain?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Marvin Integrity is available in a Ultrex (pultruded fiberglass) exterior and a real wood interior and is a solid choice for a window.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 9:00PM
HomeSealed

The Integrity with wood interior is a good choice. IMO, fiberglass is not necessarily a better choice than vinyl, just offers different pros and cons. If you want a real wood interior or paintable product it is good. The higher end vinyl will generally best it in performance and warranty, but there are some products out there such as lnline that offer excellent numbers.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 9:42PM
Karateguy

I'd agree. There are some nice fg windows out there, but you are typically gonna pay a premium simply because it is "not vinyl", so I really recommend it only when you need one of those unique options that you can't get from vinyl unless you get a fabulous deal.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 11:05PM
DomiNation

Thanks for the feedback.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 12:50AM
windowsonwashington

DomiNation,

If you are in Wisconsin, you won't find a better contractor to deal with (in my opinion) than HomeSealed. He has all of the options listed above at his disposal and you can choose what is the right option for your home and aesthetic preferences.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 3:08AM
More Discussions
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
Curtain Finials
These finials were purchased a number of years ago...
cw8626
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™