some window advice?

NoCal1995May 28, 2014

Hi everyone, I just closed on the purchase of a house in Sacramento area. It was built 20 years ago and the original windows were Weatherguard wood windows.

The house is adobe style - stucco walls without eaves on some of the walls so the windows get a fair amount of weather during Northern Calif winters.

The current windows have a lot of damage as they weren't properly maintained. We plan to replace all of them. Some questions that I am hoping to get input on:

I am not planning on using Weatherguard again after reading these boards given concern about quality. After asking around I was recommended to use Marvin, Eagle or Pella - seems like Pella gets a lot of negative reviews as well - so am thinking Marvin and Eagle. Do you agree? Any other suggestions?

Several people recommended I go with aluminum clad windows (exterior) rather than wood to significantly reduce the maintenance. However, the wood exterior looks great with the adobe / stucco style of the house so I wanted to check if the board agrees on this.

I also want the new windows to have significant UV protection to protect furniture etc from fading.

Any comments or input greatly appreciated! What else should I be thinking about??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Un-clad wood is certainly a recipe for maintenance.

If that is the route that you are looking, I would look at a fiberglass-wood hybrid.

Best of both worlds and looks wood'ish on the outside.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Quick advice re: matching door and window grills & transom size
I have french doors sitting between two sets of side...
happyallison
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Curtain Finials
These finials were purchased a number of years ago...
cw8626
Which LoE coating ?
New construction. House located in Knoxville, Tennessee Front...
buildinse
Deciding between Grand Estates/Amcraft or Okna 500dx, advice?
Both are new construction. The Grand Estates is just...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™