Generator connection problem

orest402January 24, 2012

My question concerns my portable generator and how to make a connection between it and the house (transfer switch). My generator has 2/ 220V outlets (20A).3 blade type with one horizontal and one vertical blade and one grd. pin. The transfer switch has an inlet box with the 4 prong (twist lock/ L14-30 male plug. Thre is NO adapter to make a cord set work between the 2 different outlets. What do I do to make this project work? Some generators have the L14-30 already on the generator...don't know why this one doesn't. Thanks for any input...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petey_racer

You CANNOT use this generator to power a 120/240v service. It is either 120v or 240v. NOT both, which is required to use with a house panel and transfer switch with an L14-30P.

Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 11:35PM
orest402

Thanks Petey Racer for the response. Isn't it the work of the transfer switch and how it's wired to deliver either 120v / 240v to the appropriate circuits? and not to the entire panel and all it's circuits.? All the transfer switch panels seem to come with that 4 prong "twist lock" receptical. What am I missing here? thanks again

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 2:54AM
bus_driver

The transfer switch does not change the voltage. What is the nameplate voltage on that generator? That is all that available from that generator, period.

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 7:45AM
brickeyee

The generator output will require alteration to connect to 120/240 V, if it is even capable (some are).

There is no "NO adapter to make a cord set work between the 2 different outlets" since you do not have the required neutral for a 120 V load available.

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 11:49AM
orest402

So, in the end what can I do with my 5000W generator that has both (2) 120v/20A...(2) and (2) 240v 20A outlets to get a transfer switch to work in my case when and if power goes out? I want to be able to power up "essential" circuits for furnace, fridge, and kitchen outlets if possible. This is becomming very complicated for me...thanks

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 9:17PM
bus_driver

I believe that the two 120 volt outlets will provide the desired 120/240. But that needs to be verified. Until this post, needed information was scarce. Don't be stingy with details when asking for advice. Can you post the make and model or a website that has the technical information about your generator?

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 9:37PM
orest402

http://yodermachinery.net/54447/ (link to make and model)

I hope the additional info as to make and model will help some..........thank you.

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 1:47AM
petey_racer

That is a Devilbiss clone unit. It was sold under several names.
Linked is the wiring diagram. If you had to, you could replace the 120v receptacle, or add a new one with an L14-20R.
Or you could home make and adapter cable that plugs into both halves and leads to an external L14-20R.

The 120v receptacle IS actually split into two separate circuits.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 7:10AM
brickeyee

If you have 120 V receptacles you would need to measure between the 120 V hots and make sure you have 240 V.

Then you could make a Y cord to use the 120 V receptacles AND their neutrals to feed 120/240 V into a transfer switch.

The neutrals are connected together on the generator side, and each hot feeds one leg of the 240 V input.

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 10:03AM
orest402

thanks for all the suggestions / answers to my problem. We'll have to try that now....

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 4:05PM
brickeyee

It sounds like it has a 240 V output from the actual windings with a center tape to make a pair of 120 V outputs (a pretty normal setup).

Make sure there is not voltage between the two neutral on the 120 V outputs (or at most a very small voltage) before connecting them together.

You may need to load down both 120 V outputs to get a good measurement.
A 100 W light bulb should be more than adequate on each output.

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Light/Switch wiring
Here is the scenario. Have a kitchen light that needs...
wgl3333
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
mtvhike
Sponsored Products
Divi Chrome One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Silver Foil Glass
$153.00 | Bellacor
Necessories Compact Hearth - 4200046
$575.00 | Hayneedle
Roman Empire New Heirloom Gold 10-Light Clear Spectra Crystal Pendant, 16.5W x 2
Bellacor
Vines II Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Mia Gold Foil Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$220.50 | Bellacor
Mia Chrome Three-Light Square Canopy Bath Fixture with Marble Grigio Glass
$391.50 | Bellacor
Rizzy Home Vicki Payne Trellis Print Decorative Throw Pillow - T05645
$26.00 | Hayneedle
Rizzy Home Reversible Printed Paisley Accent Pillow with Self Trim Multicolor -
$40.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: