Getting a breaker box to blend in

comish4lifJanuary 16, 2012

I have the basic grey breaker box on a wall in my finished basement.

I was thinking of using a wood looking contact paper on the door and frame/face to make it blend in. That would be safe, right? Would it still be to code to paint it or cover like I am thinking?

Part 2 - the door has three plastic clips as hinges, could I remove the door to do a cleaner job with the contact paper and put the door back on when complete? How would I remove the door - temporarily - without breaking the clips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

I'm of the opinion that nothing will make something so utilitarian "blend in." Nonetheless, since the breaker box already has a coat of paint on it, painting it another color is not going to violate any code or make it unsafe. As far as covering it with wood-looking contact paper, that will just make it look weird (again, my opinion).

The solution I've used before is to simply hang a picture over it and then you don't have to fool around with those half measures.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 12:51AM
countryboymo

I think you can get some camo tape that is like 2-3" wide and cover it with that. I would measure its location before you start so you don't lose track of that sucker! Other than that it is going to be tough to get to blend in. I know some that have had a face frame made with a cabinet type door on it with the inside diameter larger than the total outside dimensions of the box cover. I am sure this is not code worthy but at least you can still remove the actual box cover if needed.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 10:59PM
joed

You can paint it, paper it, cover it with a door or picture. As long as you don't build a cupboard where stuff can be stored you are fine.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™