Glass/Screen Door

chedanemiMay 2, 2010

I know this is a windows forum, but I guess the concept is similar! My front door faces directly south and is a painted steel door with a fiberglass frame around the window in it. The fiberglass frame is unpainted. The problem is, my current storm door is solid glass, and with the direct sun coming through the glass, the interior door get so hot you can't touch it. Plus, some of the sealer is beginning to leak around the door window frame.

My question is: is there a door made from double pane or some type of glass which will not allow the heat to come through so strongly? I've asked a couple sales people, and no one seems to think there is a solution.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hey_starfish

Storm doors are typically single pane glass so low-e glazing is out of the question. You might look into an applied glass tint, a newly constructed porch or a large tree etc.???

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 10:48PM
windowsonwashington

Storm doors are designed to be removed in the summer months.

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 10:08AM
theporchguy

Although they do make 1/1 insulated glass panels for storms doors, your door is still going to cook.
Did you ever put your arm down on your car in the sun? Hot!
I believe your only solution is to replace the inside 1 3/4" steel door with a fir wood door. It won't get hot.

The Porch Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 8:17PM
afsa

What color is your inner door painted, if it is a dark color that will be a good part of the problem. Try a light color and see if this helps. Most door manufacturers will tell you not to paint a steel door a dark color if it is exposed to a lot of sunlite especially if you use a storm door

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
Simonton 5500 v. Soft-Lite Pro (replacement and new )
Hi, We are remodeling our house in Washington DC. We...
amy2905
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™