break & cut glass to make mosaic pictures

marcinconAugust 5, 2008

DIYnetwork showed a way to make a sliding stained glass picture frame to block a window. The wooden frame surrounded a piece of plexiglass to secure it then they put different types of glass on top to display a beautiful design. You can recycle and break and cut old glass, colored glass, bottles, marbles, sea glass, colored aquarium glass rocks, etc. After the design was finished it was then grouted. Check out their idea: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_bedrooms/article/0,2037,DIY_13904_4832535,00.html.

One question I have is, what type of cutter do you use? Would you need to have a special number bottle cutter and separate glass cutter? Would it be easier to make a bottle cutting jig to support your bottles?

Now it's time to start collecting glass, maybe the recycle dump would be a great place to start!

btw this was posted in Trash to Treasure & I was told to post it here instead - didn't know there was a Stained Glass & Mosaic forum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasfern

Glad you posted over here.
You will get some great inspiration and information.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 9:52AM
texaswild

Hello, MARC: Welcome to the forum. I couldn't open the link. Sounds like a real fun project. I'll try to Google it.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 10:22AM
trancegemini_wa

it looks like a really interesting project!
the link doesnt work because it has a full stop on the end but here it is slowme

diy network project

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 10:29AM
daisyme

Hi, Marc, and welcome! I haven't used glass yet, so I can't answer your questions and see no one else has yet. They usually do right away if they see them. They must have been moving too fast and missed them. Let's see what happens in the next couple of days, and if no one's answered, I'd ask again. SOMEONE knowsand would be happy to answer. This is a great group of very helpful people.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 8:23PM
daisyme

Another idea, Marc. Go to the bottom of the page and type in "How to cut glass" (or something similar) in the search window and then look over the whole array of similar questions that have been asked in the past.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 9:24AM
nicethyme

thats good advice daisy.

Marc, what you are looking at on that site is essentially what is known as a GOG or glass on glass project and thats another subject you might want to read up on as there are specific concerns about your adhesive choices and grout bleed issues when doing a GOG. As far as glass cutting, a glass cutter/scoring tool and wheeled nippers are most preferred but there are saws and gigs available too

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
Outdoor Thermometer
Did this to go on our porch next to the kitchen door....
brokenbitmosaics
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™