Replacement Windows for Oceanfront Condominium

jester22May 20, 2010

Two years ago the owners association for a condominium we own on the coast required us to replace the existing aluminum sliding double pane windows prior to January 1, 2010. They also referred members to a nearby company (a window I have never heard of before) for a quote on double pane vinyl windows which seemed, if not illegal, to have very fishy odor to it. After threat of several lawsuits they backed down on the requirement to replace the windows, but I did look very closely at my windows and noticed that the windows in both bedrooms had about an inch of water between the double panes. The units were built in 1984 and the windows in my unit were the originals. I had recently called a Pella store nearby and asked them to go by and give me a quote on replacing the existing windows with a fiberglass double pane "low e" sliding window because, even though I am a "diy er" I've never done window replacement before and I didn't want to get it wrong, especially in a coastal environment. After stumbling blindly onto this forum I'm not sure if I should proceed with Pella (I think it is a fiberglass "Impervia" window they recommended) or look elsewhere and, if so, where else do I look for a good coastal environment sliding window?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

The first thing you need to find out is if there are building codes that are going to affect your final decision. Then you are going to have to decide whether you want fiberglass, wood, vinyl, a composite or aluminum. I would assume the choice would be influenced by the HOA so you need to check with them before wasting a lot of time looking at windows. I would definitely look elsewhere. Marvin makes a much better fiberglass window than Pella.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Is this too much to pay?
My mom has two sets of French doors she needs to have...
joaniben
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™