ceiling fan wiring

rena_2010January 15, 2010

I installed a new ceiling fan to replace a working but rickety old one. It was wired so the light worked from one switch and the fan with the other. I didn't pay attention to how it was wired and now I can't seem to figure out how it could possibly work through the switch. I have 2 black wires coming from the ceiling and 3 white (in addition to the green/copper ground wires). I am able to hook the fan up to a single white and a single black and have the fan and lights work but we have to us the pull strings because the light switch makes absolutely no difference. I can't seem to find any other combination that makes a hot connection. Has anyone got any idea how the old fan was wired? It was working through the switch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

One of the black and white wires probably runs over to the switch and back. It will be one of the ones NOT used to get the fan working now. Once you figure out (with a meter or continuity tester) which they are, the white to the switch gets connected to the black wire now being used to power the fan. The returning black gets connected to the fan (where you had the other black connected before)

Bookmark   January 16, 2010 at 7:59AM
joed

Did you have a white and black connected together and thought I better fix this the colours don't match. Well put it back. It was supposed to be that way.

Bookmark   January 16, 2010 at 11:09AM
rena_2010

Yep, that was what happened. I looked up about wiring a switch on the internet and saw that it could be wired with the electricity coming into the light/fan and the wires to the switch only make a circuit back and forth to the light/fan. The white is wired to the black as suggested above. It had never occurred to me it could be wired that way and it took a lot of drawing it out on paper before I finally understood but I got it now. The fan and light now work from the switches again. Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 2:47AM
More Discussions
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™