Black thinset or black grout - help

silvamaeAugust 14, 2014

Slowmedown, aren't you the one who uses black black thinset or grout? I've forgotten the brand you use to accomplish this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

Hi, SILVA: Thinset doesn't come in black. Lowes carries Mapei in grey and white. I used to use Mapei brand grey thinset and Mapei Keracolor black grout for certain pieces, and charcoal for most. I like the charcoal. B/f I started buying charcoal, I mixed black and white grout to make my own shades of charcoal. The already-mixed charcoal is juuuuuuuust right. Lowes switched the UltraFlex II to Porcelain something - just ask the clerk at Lowes - it's the same as UltraFlex. I found it a little bit grainer than the UltraFlex, but it was pretty much the same stuff. Remember - Mapei has an 800 number on the sack. I called the company b/f I started using it, and they were very helpful - answered all my questions. I miss y'all, and still check in every morning.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:06AM
silvamae

Thank you, slowmedown! I was hoping you would come in here and help me out. Miss you and wish you would post here more, whether it's technically about mosaics or not. I've been doing a few other things as well, such as covering cigar boxes with paper (using Mod Podge and thread). Still going strong on the mosiacs, though.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 12:37PM
texaswild

I'll take a chance, then, and post my latest. It does have a teensy qualifying element - in the niche of the doll. The materials were plaster cloth over an aluminum foil armature, decoupaged w/snippets of a paper napkin. Head is one I cut off a porcelain doll, covered w/polymer clay and remolded the face. Eyelash yarn for hair, gold, metallic ribbon lace for crown and a small matchbox bottom for the niche. Gold mirror glass and black bugle beads inside the niche.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 8:49AM
silvamae

Wow, that is charming! I love the colors and especially love the crown!!!

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 8:03AM
loribee2

SLOW so nice to see you here. I agree with Silva, it is fun to have you around. People always ask me how I learned mosaics. I tell them a wonderful woman in Texas taught me everything I know. :-)

Love to see your new pieces. I can sooo see this one in your bohemian styled house. Are you keeping it?

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 11:36AM
texaswild

How nice of you LORIBEE: I do miss y'all, and thanks for the comments. Yes, keeping this little doll. I'm doing a lot of teaching of techniques lately in a Monday art group I started here. Doing mostly paper crafting, altered art on canvas and art journaling.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 7:34AM
silvamae

Slow, we seem to be going down a similar path . . . here is a decoupage mother Earth I did last week.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:27AM
silvamae

and here are two decoupage cigar boxes I just finished - wonderful fine wood and nice fastenings; I applied recycled calendar art and magazine art along with crochet thread.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:31AM
loribee2

Love these! And I see your same style from mosaics coming through in this medium too. Both of you. How fun.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 10:26AM
texaswild

Ooooooo - how cook are those?!!! Fabulous, SILVA. I LOVE decoupage. I have a friend here who is doing a large box w/a glass inset on top, She is putting every kind of mixed media she knows in that box, and it's turning out so beautifully. I taught her to heat emboss, use stamps, make paper flowers w/a heavy layer of embossing enamel on the petals and while hot to stamp into it, then use different metallic paints and rub n buff over the stamp. Of course, she's using a bit of mosaics. She's also using modeling paste over stancils, gold leaf. There's a bit of polymer clay too. You name it, this box is gorgeous. I'll take a photo of it and post it here when she's finished.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 7:56AM
murraysmom Zone 6 OH

Slowmedown and Silvamae, all your work is beautiful!! I love seeing what everybody is doing.

Gorgeous and so unique!!

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
please help!!!!
hi! im trying to get into working with glass and i...
fpc3
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
glass pattern for a cabinet door
Does anyone have a good website or pattern book for...
maryb116
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™