Installation charges? Bracing myself...

dgmarieMay 11, 2010

We had ProBuild out to quote materials ONLY (Anderson 400 sries casement) for our home. 34 openings (single, double and triple plus two sets of triple french doors, and a back and service door) came in at $30K (includes tax).

We are having someone else quote the installation and new trim (the GC is actually getting the quote).

Have NO idea what to expect. Any experience to tell me whether the install could possible cost as much as the windows themselves? I'm feeling ill already!

PS: Marvin is quoting too so am wondering if I should expect the cost to be significantly more. I asked for Ultimate Casements with the new retractable screens.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgmarie

I should add we are replacing the existing windows in a brick veneer home. So I need the old windows ripped out and full frames installed.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 2:49PM
afsa

Installation is tough to say on new construction units without a site survey. Marvin Ultimate Casements will be definitely be more than the Andersen 400 Casements how much i am not sure of these days(haven't sold Andersen in years)

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 2:51PM
doorproz

new construction could be $400 per window;it depends on the complexity. obviously a bay or bow window would be much more.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 8:46AM
dgmarie

We got the installation quote. It was $17K and change to remove, replace, recaulk and haul away the old windows.

We also got a quote from another vendor for the same job. They wanted $30K more for the entire project. They are a big company and very impressive but the cost difference is very large. Our low quote is from a GC/builder who will order the windows and have his trim carpenter subs install them.

We have a third bidder tomorrow.

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 6:57PM
dgmarie

The marvin quote was only $4k more than the Anderson. FYI

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 6:59PM
afsa

For a difference of $4K more, i would not even think twice and jump on the Marvin personally as that sounds like a very good price as long as apples to apples. Just a much better window in my opinion.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
Quick advice re: matching door and window grills & transom size
I have french doors sitting between two sets of side...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™