Best windows for historic look?

redheadeddaughterMay 6, 2013

We are building a new "old" farmhouse and just started planning for windows. Apart from very expensive wood windows (which I know are the best option probably?), are there any affordable options that can reproduce that historic appearance? I've seen the Anderson architect series for farmhouses, but I'm wondering if there is a good vinyl window with nice cottagey looking dividers that don't look "new" .... all without breaking the bank. We are in Northern California if that makes any difference. So appreciate any advice from forum members...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

There are some better looking vinyl equivalents out there now but you are going to be hard pressed to get a really historic looking vinyl window.

You can get SDLs and that will help bridge the gap slightly but you might be better suited to stay with fiberglass or wood.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 4:24PM
patrickbuzacott

hello there, if you want a more affordable solution to giving a âÂÂhistoric lookâ to your windows, you can try adding Window Frosting on them. There are frosting films available in different colors and designs��"there are even those that duplicate the appearance of stained glass!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:02AM
millworkman

There you go again with the "window frosting", this time to give a historic look and "there are even those that duplicate the appearance of stained glass!". Anyway you look at it the above poster is obviously:

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:00AM
Fenestration_Taylor

What area of Northern California? It's hard to find many vinyl companies that use a proper SDL that could look historic. Integrity fiberglass windows might be an answer.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:29PM
redheadeddaughter

Hi Fenestration, I just noticed your question and it has been weeks... we are in the southern portion of Silicon Valley. I'll look into the Integrity product... thank you!

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Plantation Shutters Pros/Cons, need advice
Hi, I'm new to this website and owning a home so forgive...
rehsanipoor
Window Manufacturers
Ladies and Gents: Wife and I are shopping brands for...
GoldenBear
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
Need to keep sun out of old Anderson bay window
This may well be the wrong place and I apologize. ...
quimoi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™