Vinyl Replacement Windows - Installation Best Practices

mrmichaeljmooreMay 18, 2010

I am in the process of getting quotes from a variety of contractors for vinyl replaecment windows...

I have done considerable research on the different brands. But one thing that is just as important is the installation.

You can get the best windows (or anything for that matter), but if things are installed improperly, you are wasting your money....

When I have received all the estimates, I will post them here to get the pros recommendation.

So as far as installtion, what are the best practices?

Besides the standard contractor questions (how long have you been in business? references, etc.), what are some specific things I should ask or look out for in a good vinyl replacement window installation?

Thanks.

mm

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pshomestead

An important aspect is understanding how they'll replace your windows. The standard practice for old double hung windows is to remove the sashes and place the new window in the old frame. If the double hungs are weighted, will they remove the weights and add insullation to the mullions? If you don't have double hungs really understand how they'll remove and the old window (is it the entire window or just the sash). You'll also want to understand how they will seal (type of caulk...you want 30 yr silicone caulk) the window and cap the exterior. Most of the big contractors have replacement windows down to a t, but the crew can make a huge difference. Get pics and refrences of jobs.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
sgilliatt
What size windows - 12' Great Room Ceiling
I found this great room picture, and am looking to...
burbmomoftwo
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
Andersen Renewal vs Starmark Windows
i currently have a secondary home that we are re designing...
branlance
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™