Can I attach 2 windows to make a single window?

trofywifeMay 29, 2010

I would normally ask our contractor this question, but he is out of town for the weekend.

We just reworked our remodeling budget and found some $ for a couple more new windows. Here's the problem, I would like to have single hung and the size I want is a special order size. We don't have time to wait on the windows.

My question is can I buy 2 single hung vinyl windows and have them installed right next to each other so they appear to be a single window? These would be new construction windows.

I need to make my major Lowe's trip today so if someone can answer soon I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenni232323

I'm pretty sure you would have to get a mull bar to go in between the 2 windows in 1 opening. We have a large opening and 2 single hungs with a mull bar in between. We're getting our windows replaced and most quoted around $80 in materials for a mull bar that's around 49 inches in height. The windows won't technically appear to be a single window because there will be a bar in between the 2 that's around 2-1/2 inches wide.
I couldn't find a good pic on google, so here's one of our old windows with the mull bar

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 8:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

Yes. They can be mulled as mentioned above.

Very simple task.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
Sunrise or Thermal windows and doors
I'm trying to decide between Sunrise windows and Thermal...
craig4536
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Softlite Elements windows quote reasonable?
We're in MA. We've been quoted $13,300 for installing...
ppurus
What size windows - 10' + Cathedral Ceiling
I like the look of the hearth room pictured below....
burbmomoftwo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™