My outlets don't work, and its not the breakers!

dhardegrJanuary 10, 2010

Hi!

Last night I plugged in a space heater into an outlet that had a heater/airconditioner unit plugged into it. All seemed well until I turned the heater off as well as a lamp which was plugged in another outlet. At that moment all the outlets in my apartment except for two stopped working.

I called my landlord who sent out a guy, he looked at the breakers, but said the breakers were fine. He said he would come back tomorrow to work on it. I live in New Orleans also, so I think this building is probably kind of old.

The lights in my apartment seem to work ok, I guess what I really want to know is that I'm not going to die in some electrical fire while I'm sleeping, or that my apartment isn't going to burn to a crisp while I'm at work. If there was some sort of fire going on, I would know by now, right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joed

Loose connection somewhere on the circuit. If it is more than one circuit then a loose connection in the panel. If your panel is fed from a fused disconnect in the main electrical room then it be there as well.

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 8:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countryboymo

Possibly a tripped GFI?

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 1:10AM
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
can homeowner so electrical work in his own home ? (above ground pool)
I live in Western ma and I'm having an Adobe ground...
growingadvice
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
ylmzm
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™