Sub-Panels

capt_philJanuary 15, 2010

My electrical needs in the garage have increased. I use power tools which draw a bit of current. Any recommendation if running a 30 vs 40 amp box. I will have a refrig and freezer on the circuit as well plus just a few outlets and overhead lights. (There wil be several 20 amp outlets for the tools and freezer.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

60 is usually the smallest commonly available, but you're free to put it on a smaller feeder (provide you use the appropriate sized breaker in the main panel).

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 8:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terribletom

Any recommendation if running a 30 vs 40 amp box.

If you're waffling between those two sizes, well, bigger is better, eh?

The differentiator is the cost of #10 wire (30 amps) versus #8 wire (40 amps) for the feeder. If your run won't be it terribly long, 40 amps shouldn't cost much more and that would give you a full 20 amps on a receptacle circuit that's on the same pole as either the refrigerator or freezer.

I'm assuming here that you're planning a 120/240 feed -- two hots, a neutral plus ground.

Or...go ahead a bump to 60 amps, which would handle your loads and more in case you add a 240V power tool or something like that in the future.

BTW, the rating of the box is of secondary consequence so long as it is rated at least as high as the feed. (That is, there's no problem using a box rated @ 60A or 100A for a 40A subpanel.)

Bookmark   January 16, 2010 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Oil in Motor of Ironrite Rotary Iron. what do I do now?
Hi, I just bought an old 1946 Ironrite rotary iron...
lucinda002
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™