Repairing a dangling light socket.

ChessendenJanuary 25, 2013

I have a Tiffany lamp over our dining room table. It has three 5" ball bulbs one of which has a socket that has come loose from its cap and the bulb is sort of dangling. Needless to say the chain pull does not work too well and it is most likely a fire hazard. Is it possible to shove the socket back into that crimped cap or is the whole socket ruined? I know zero about lamp repair and with this being a ceiling fixture, asking my husband to do it is going to meet with resistance. I just want the lamp to work.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Pushing it back into place is easy (shut it off first). Getting it to stay there requires some inspection to figure out what is supposed to hold it. Some are just crimped, some have a setscrew which may be missing, some push up and then turn slighly to lock into place.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 6:54PM
Chessenden

Thank you, ronnatalie. Wish me luck!

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 1:23PM
Chessenden

Hey Ronnatalie, I got the socket back in and then tried all three bulbs. Now I see one of the chain pulls does not work and when I attempt to move it down the light bulb flickers on but does not stay lit. Would you like to tackle this problem for me?

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:09PM
ionized_gw

There is a pull-chain for each lamp for a total of 5, or one chain for all the lamps in the luminaire?

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 10:59AM
bus_driver

Often pull chain switches just need lubricating. Turn OFF the power to that assembly that includes the switch. Spray just one shot of WD-40 directly into the switch where the chain enters. Pull the chain about 4 times to see if it operates smoothly. If not, spray again. See if it operates smoothly. Wait two hours or more and turn ON the power. Often the switch will work better than when new.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 8:49AM
Chessenden

There is a pull chain for each lamp. The darn fixture spins a bit so I am not entirely sure but I am pretty sure the chain that has no slack is from a different bulb than the one I was working on. Once they are lit, I use the wall switch so it has been a LONG time since I tried the chains. Now I need to because the bulb is out and I want everything working.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
Badly done multi-wire circuits (previous owner strikes again..)
I bought a 1940-ish house last year, for which the...
quahog
Electrical Problem.
My mom's house has a problem with the lights temporarily...
Debra Johnson
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Testing a fluorescent bulb
I've got a light box that isn't lighting up when I...
kudzu9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™