What is this?

tbird355January 31, 2014

Anybody know what this is? I need to get some more and don't know what it's called and if it's electrical or plumbing or what. Looks like a bushing. Threads on the outside. No threads on the inside. Two notches to use to tighten and loosen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hexus

If you don't know what it is, why do you need more?
What's it going on? What did it come off of?

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 11:02PM
tbird355

Good questions. Do you know what it is?

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 2:52AM
tbird355

Here's where I found and it and why I need more.

We have some installed landscape lights that came with the property. Here's a link to them.

http://www.kimlighting.com/products/louvered_body

They come with a 1/2" x 12" stem to mount them on. The original installer must have thought the 1/2" stem looked too small around for the size of the light and decided instead to use 2" rigid electrical conduit. They do look much better with the larger stem. The point of attachment on the fixture itself is 1/2" female pipe thread.

To attach the 1/2" female fitting to the 2" stem, the following parts were used: (1) 1/2" short nipple, (2) 1"x1/2" rigid conduit bushing, (3) 1" union, (4) 2" union and (5) the part pictured above. See attached picture.

We're installing some new lights and want them to look the same. I can easily find the first 4 components. It's the 5th one I can't locate. I don't even know what it is to be able to do some google searches. It really looks like a rigid conduit bushing except that the inside is not threaded and it has the 2 notches, presumably to tighten and loosen it.

That's the story and I'm still trying to figure out what it is and where to get them.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 2:50PM
joefixit2

maybe the threads were drilled out

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 6:12PM
bus_driver

Looks a bit like a plug used in a sealing fitting for Chapter 5 Articles. Likely is very old. Originally solid with no center hole. The user could have drilled out the center.

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 2:10PM
tbird355

Thanks for everyone's feedback. We came up with a different way to achieve the same goal with fewer parts.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 2:45PM
tbird355

Thanks to fellow forum members joefixit2 and bus_driver about drilling out the center of a rigid bushing as that turned out to be what the original electrician did when he installed these. Question answered.

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™