How would you paint this house with these colors?

christyincoAugust 27, 2012

I'm thinking of the whole house (base color) in Baja Dunes (#997 Benj. Moore) and the trim around windows to be #999 Rustic Taupe (BM). Should I add more colors or keep entire trim (everything currently brown) the Rustic Taupe?

Also, we are replacing the front door with a 6 panel metal door and adding a storm door (full glass). So, there are options of colors for the storm door, but not sure if I should select my door color before the storm door color. I'm totally open to suggestions on a front door color - have NO idea!

Thanks!

Christy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christyinco

Back of House

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 12:28PM
christyinco

Baja Dunes & Rustic Taupe Colors

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 12:32PM
christyinco

Sample of these two on the house.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 12:33PM
avesmor

My parents' neighborhood is full of houses like this - brick, siding, etc. The house across from theirs reminds me of your color scheme. Thanks to the wonders of Google maps, I think I can snag you a pic. :)

I love their orangey door with black/ORB storm door.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 3:56PM
awm03

I'm not real good at this, but here are some mock-ups. Maybe they'll give you an idea.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 4:48PM
terriks

However you paint it, I think that you need some sort of evergreen in that space to the left of the garages to break up the width of the house:

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 5:05PM
lizbeth-gardener

Definitely prefer the second and third mock-up of awm. Number one seems heavy/overpowering-I see the bottom of the windows before the house!

Think a door in one of the colors of the brick would look good.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 5:48PM
yayagal

I'd like to see it dark with the trim light.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 5:59PM
christyinco

You all are amazing! How did you get that mock-up? What a great visual. I was actually considering photo 2 - but with the garage doors being in the light base color.

I have to be careful with the dark color on the house since we live in Colorado - land of sun - and no air conditioning, so I don't want the heat attracted to the house.

Next spring is landscaping time! I know we need some serious greenery. We used to have two Aspen trees on either side of the stairs and they died this year. I'm going to do something with Evergreens all around the house. I'm thinking I can add color in that also.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 7:52PM
christyinco

Another question - would you opt for this color as trim instead - Whitall Brown (Benj. Moore)? More contrast for sure, but stays more taupe versus the prior can be more in the green tones. Oh, roof is black w/rust colors.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 9:30PM
mtnrdredux_gw

I like AWM's version 2 best.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 9:45PM
lazydaisynot

I think I'd keep the garage doors the same color as the siding.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 10:24PM
teacats

awm03 - and terricks -- wonderful virtuals!

A vote for the third virtual above (from awm03)-- PLUS painting out the garage doors and their trim ...

PLUS -- a BIG vote to paint out the brick entrance ....

AND to add a handrail to both sides of the front stairs!!! :)

And then add terraced levels to the garden by the stairs -- and yes -- some taller bushes and lower spreading ones too .... (careful of the size of the rootball and root spreading)

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 9:34AM
Sueb20

I would not paint the "boxes" under the window as trim color -- keep them the siding color. Also keep the garage doors the same as the siding. I would also paint the long, horizontal trim piece (is that a trim piece?) that intersects the house the same as the siding, not the trim color. Hope that all makes sense as I'm running out the door!

Oh, and there appears to be a gutter going vertically along the right side of the house? Paint it the siding color as well.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 9:53AM
christyinco

What color would you paint the doors on the back of the house? I'm not sure if they should be trim color or the same color as the front.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 10:18AM
anele_gw

I agree about painting the garage doors to match the siding, as well as painting the brick.

I am thinking your front door might be nice as a green-- then it will pick up whatever trees you plant nearby.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 1:42PM
awm03

Here are the garage doors painted the same as the siding. Sorry for the crude renderings. I tried getting the brick the same color as the siding, but it didn't turn out right.

I bought Paint Shop Pro this year and am still stumbling & bumbling with it. These photo editing programs are complicated!

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Need Help Decorating My Bedroom
Hi there, I'm excited to be here! This is my very first...
jmdkc
Need help for exterior of home!
My husband and I recently bought a 1960's mid century...
betsmurph198
Is Restoration Hardware bedding worth it?
I've been searching for the perfect white quilt for...
artydecor
Chalk paint?
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about doing a wall in my...
lisa_mocha
Curtain Height?
My walkout basement ceilings are 9 feet. I like curtains...
mattypies
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™