Window sound control advice

jenniosApril 28, 2014

Hello all,
I am in need of some advice before I make a big decision. I have a brand new home (3 mos old). Builder installed Andersen 400 windows. Here is the problem, I back to a busy road with a speed limit of 55 mph although many go at least 70. Mostly cars but also a considerable amount if tractor trailors (semis) and pick ups with loud aftermarket exhaust. Getting a lot of road noise and a tinney sound on the glass.

My Andersen 400 casement windows have an STC of 26 and an OITC of 22.
Pretty low. I think it is a 5/8 size if that sounds right.

Andersen rep reccomended replacing all my sash with new sash with laminated glass which would give me STC of 30 and OITC of 26. For a cost of $400 per sash (about 10 windows). The new windows would still be Andersen 400 but Coastal series. I live in the midwest, no ocean around here but I guess the call this tgeir upgraded STC glass.

Do you think the laminated glass with 4 point STC/OITC increase may help or at least provide a little relief?

Thanks for your feedback! :-)

This post was edited by jennios on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 23:48

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

The 4 point increase will help and should be perceptible but an STC of 30 and OITC of 26 is still medium to low. We see some laminated testing out of windows show in the mid to low 30s.

While it will be an improvement, I am not sure it is going to give you the net result and sound attenuation you are looking for.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 7:30AM
jennios

Thank you so much for the information! Glad to hear that it should be somewhat perceptible .... at least it will be something. Although knowing that there are other windows out there with a better classification. I think I may try just one to begin with and see where we go from there. Thank you!

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 7:41AM
windowsonwashington

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
Time to replace the windows?
There has been almost constant ice build up around...
tonyzzztony
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
Requesting feedback re: interior bronze window frames
My home is a small (1500 sq. ft.) contemporary with...
texasgal47
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Lrw2a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™