Wiring Bathroom Exhaust Fan/Heater

cubbiesfan1908January 4, 2011

Hi all,

I want to replace a standard bathroom exhaust fan with a exhaust fan/heater combo. I live in the Chicago suburbs and it can be pretty cold in the bathroom in the morning.

My home has the electrical wires running through conduit which I understand is local code.

I want to wire the fan/heater in such a way that there is a switch for the fan and one for the heater. During the summer, I'll want to run the fan but not the heater.

Can I just run an extra hot and neutral wire through the existing conduit to add another switch?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Yes you can though sometimes it's a bit rough to pull an additional conductor through a conduit that already has stuff in it. They make double switches that fit where one switch goes.

The questions are:
1. Can the circuit handle it. Most likely yes, the heater+light rarely exceeds 1200 Watts. Of course, you'll have to decide what else is on that circuit (not really so much a code factor than a nuisance factor). If it's on the same circuit as the receptacles in the bathroom, anybody with teenager daughters knows that one of those monster blow driers can trip a circuit.

2. Can you shoehorn the unit you want into the space your existing fan is in and get the exhaust duct to line up.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 8:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joed

You won't need an extra neutral. The fan and heater will share the neutral. You will only need the hot wire to control the heat.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Wiring Ceiling fan
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™