Should I replace my windows along with siding?

58jhApril 3, 2011

We are replacing the cedar siding on our second floor with either vinyl or cement board. The windows are 27 year old double hung Andersons. There are no problems with the seals, but a few must have problems with the sash weights/cords as they are either hard to open or won't stay open. At some point they will need to be replaced, but they could last for quite a few more years too. Although the cost of window replacement is considerable, we are wondering if it would be advisable to replace the windows while we are replacing the siding. Some of the contractors we've talked to said it doesn't matter if we do the siding now and then the windows a few years later. However, others said it would be much better to do the windows while we are doing the siding as far as installation and final looks. If we replace the windows, they would be wood on the interior and low maintenance on the outside. Pros and cons...we know the big con is the cost, but are there really any pros for replacing the windows along with the siding?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Yes.

Full tear out is an option when the siding is off and that is the most preferable method of installation.

If you are going to do the windows as some point, you should certainly consider doing them with the siding.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 8:37AM
More Discussions
new construction vs "replacement" windows
I am somewhat confused from reading various company...
mmdoh
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
Deciding between Grand Estates/Amcraft or Okna 500dx, advice?
Both are new construction. The Grand Estates is just...
happyallison
Curtain Finials
These finials were purchased a number of years ago...
cw8626
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™