Suitable Materials for Outdoor Mosaics

forever_jesslynJuly 29, 2012

Hi everybody,

I have zero experience in making mosaics, but since I have the summer off, I thought I might give it a try. There's a concrete manhole in my front lawn, and I thought that it would be cool if there was a mosaic design over top it. What adhesive would I use, and more importantly, what's a suitable material that can withstand the rain and sun? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loribee2

Stay away from ceramic tile. Stick to glass or porcelain. Ceramic is porous and will expand/freeze/crack in frosty temperatures. As for adhesive, you want to use thinset. I use sanded grout that I mix with an additive.

If you go to one of the home improvement stores, tell them you want thinset and grout for exterior work. They SHOULD be able to tell you what to buy. Every store carries different products, so it's hard to recommend specific brands.

Sounds like a fun project!

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 10:07PM
silvamae

Hi! I had a difficult time understanding what thinset was, and when I went to Lowes to buy it, they acted puzzled. I now know that thinset is also called mortar. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 12:19AM
patriciae_gw

Go to the tile department for Thinset-it is a special tile mortar-comes in boxes and bags. Get some latex additive to mix it with.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™