From storms to replacements

cannesApril 20, 2011

My husband and I own a 90 year old brick home with original wood windows. The upstairs have storms that are in extreme disrepair, the downstairs still have the old wood storms. Every winter, we spend a day installing the 3M window films on all windows.

So, this year, we had decided to install new storms. However, the more we began looking into it, we are begining to think that we should skip the storms and install replacement windows. Specifically, inserts.

We are looking at the Anderson Woodrights and the Marvins. We have 10DH and think with an insert window that we can handle installing them ourselves since we have extensive construction knowledge. This would certainly help us afford to do this.

There are a lot of people on this message board with a ton of knowledge. What are all your thoughts. Are we doing the right thing? Considering the right products?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

If the wood windows have historic value, are in good shape, integral to the aesthetics of the home, etc, etc....then I would recommend just getting some good storm windows and retrofitting the weatherstripping on the old windows.

Get a good storm with Low-e and that should give you all the improvement you require if you decide that you don't want to go the insert window route.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
pulley and weight window stuck open
I cannot get it closed even though I basically hang...
Cynna622
Full Replacement Questions, Resources?!? Woodwright vs. E-series?
We are in the midst of ordering full-frame replacements...
joeyjoey1
Are Hurd Windows OK?
I've heard before of Marvin and Anderson windows, but...
kats
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Adding SDL muntins to Exterior Only Windows
We are building a custom home along the coast in Galveston,...
shellismith
Sponsored Products
Vondom | Sabinas Sofa Illuminated
YLiving.com
Area Rug: Mosaic Stones Multi 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Gigi Trails Rug 9' x 12'
$3,940.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Handmade Moroccan Cambridge Silver/ Ivory Wool Rug (2'6 x 14')
Overstock.com
Divi Satin Nickel One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Amber Matte G
$153.00 | Bellacor
Modern Beside Table Lamp for Home Decoration
ParrotUncle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™