Marvin Integrity vs. Anderson 400

lniaApril 19, 2012

Hello,

SO I think we are down to Integrity versus 400 for our new build windows. If it wasn't for the price difference I would probably lean towards Integrity. Any insights you can share on the differences?

Also, in regards to exterior colors, do people try to math them to something else on the exterior of their homes. I see a lot of white in newer builds. Furthermore, do people tend to match the grids to the color of the window or is the contrast of white preferable. So many decisions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

Cannot comment on the aesthetics part of the decision process because those are entirely personal, however, the common opinion on those two units would give the nod to the Integrity.

If that was my pool of choices, I would put Integrity in my home.

I am not a fan of clad woods when a completely water insensitive option is available.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 10:14PM
toddinmn

Most windows used in new builds are vinyl because they are cheapest and white is the cheapest color available in vinyl. I do not like white for any exterior color and prefer earthtone colors on the exterior and stained wood on interiors. I prefer to match or contrast depending upon Trim color and siding color.I do install more white windows than any other color by far usually because it is the cheapest color.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 11:23PM
HomeSealed

White grids on a stained window look tacky to me. Typically that is not done for the look, but for cost. I'd choose the Integrity as well... On the exterior color, generally either the window or the window trim are matched to the soffit & fascia trim.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 7:01AM
lnia

Although I prefer the integrity, due to cost we are leaning towards the Anderson 400 sandstone. Would it be unheard of if we used Anderson 100 for our garage windows in same color? Not sure if the difference in styling would be obvious unless pointed out. Also is Anderson 400 same thing as Anderson 400 tilt series? Also, what are the benefits of a series. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 10:26PM
lnia

So, still debating. WHat do people think about pre-finishing in white the Integrity. One of the selling points on the Anderson is that this done and included in the price.

Thanks.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 6:42AM
lzerarc

If you want prefinished white, why not look at the Integrity All Ultrex and not the wood version. It will be cheaper, and with figerglass on the interior as well, should hold up better over time then painted wood for sure.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 8:46AM
eastbay10

I don't understand your last question. Both Andersen and Integrity wood ultrex offer a prefinished white interior. Are you asking what we think of the quality of the Integrity prefinish? If so, I think it is fine. A little too white far my wife's taste but it is a nice finish.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 9:44AM
lnia

Thanks. I have asked a couple dealers on the Infinity and I am told it is just for replacement. I have a new construction. SO, I am getting best price on the Anderson's at Home Depot. I know people have had issues with them installing but given that it is a new construction, do you know if I should have any concerns ordering from them?

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 9:05PM
lzerarc

No one recommended the Infinity. I suggested the Integrity full ultrex instead of the wood version. It will be a little cheaper to start with, plus it will come pre finished in more durable fiberglass without needing to paint the interior. They are for new construction as well....

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 9:21PM
PRO
Windows on Washington

Infinity can be had with a flange but the Integrity would be the way to go as lzearc mentioned previously.

In the Integrity, go wood Ultrex combo. All Ultrex is not as pretty.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 9:51PM
lnia

Thanks. I didn't realize Integrity offered all fiber glass. We like the idea of no maintenance. We are asking for pricing both ways but we were told the all ultrex would be more expensive...

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 6:01AM
millworkman

I would have major reservations about letting HD install windows in new construction or renovgations/replacement applications. It is a complete crap shoot whether or not the install will be correct or not and in my opinion not worth the chance. You need to remember that most of the installer that HD use are contractors who did not have enough work or were incapable of getting enough work on their own to maintain a business. I realize I will piss a few people off with my opinion but this is what the reality is at the very least in my area of the country.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:58AM
PRO
Windows on Washington

The interior surfaces being wood, should not be a source of maintenance besides once and a forever painting.

They can be ordered factory finish as well.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 10:01AM
lnia

Construction crew will install not window provider due to it being new construction. Home depot said all service warranty issues are handled directly with Anderson.

My concern on the interior is damage tp the window over time. We are people who sometimes forget windows open.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:12PM
lnia

Does anyone know which of these windows are better at minimizing noise from the outside? We are near a busy street. Thanks

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 8:24AM
PRO
Windows on Washington

If you are worried about noise in certain rooms, specify laminated glass.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
new construction vs "replacement" windows
I am somewhat confused from reading various company...
mmdoh
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
windows in rain and water, slush
We are in this weird situation due to the snow, rain,...
r2d2indy
Softlite Elements windows quote reasonable?
We're in MA. We've been quoted $13,300 for installing...
ppurus
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™